Forthcoming IRS regulations are expected to grant broad powers to those representing partnerships during audits, but these added capabilities could expose representatives to new risks, liabilities and potential misconduct claims from partners.
Partnership agreements will have to be very specific about the decision-making powers of partnership representatives and the process for designating and terminating them, said Charlie Ruchelman of Caplin & Drysdale.
Similarly, representatives will want these agreements to contain indemnification clauses and ensure cooperation from partners.
“I don’t recommend that anyone take on that responsibility without significant agreements in place as to what their obligations are, what their rights are, and their ability to act either on their own or with advice and consent of others in the partnership,?? Ruchelman said.
For the full article, please visit Law360’s website (subscription required).
Excerpt taken from the article "New Audit Powers Mean New Liabilities For Partnership Reps" by Vidya Kauri for Law360.
A New Era of Partnership Representation Before the IRS
Recent Blog Posts
- Surge in BBA Partnership Audits Expected in 2022
- IRS Releases Memo Concerning Access to Administrative File in TEFRA and BBA Examinations
- IRS Provides Penalty Relief for New Capital Reporting Requirements
- IRS Releases Proposed Regulations on Centralized Partnership Audit Regime
- Centralized Partnership Audit Regime Website Launched by IRS
- Partnership Filing Relief
- IRS Issues LB&I Memorandum
- IRS Release Clarifications for Form 8082
- IRS Release Draft Instructions to Form 8978
- IRS Releases Interim Guidance Centralized Partnership Audit Regime
- January 2022
- April 2021
- January 2021
- November 2020
- September 2020
- April 2020
- March 2020
- February 2020
- November 2019
- October 2019
- July 2019
- March 2019
- January 2019
- December 2018
- November 2018
- September 2018
- January 2018
- October 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- May 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016